Summer Lawn Care
Summer brings many challenges to getting and maintaining a lush, green lawn. Here are a few tips to help you have the lawn that's the envy of the neighborhood.
1. Watering: Fescue lawns require only 1-2 inches of water a week. Put a rain gauge or small cans in your yard to determine how much water your lawn has received through rainfall or sprinklers. Always water in the early morning before it is hot. Don't water in the evening as that will promote fungus. Water only 2-3 times per week. Watering deeply and less often is most desirable.
2. Grub Control: Apply Grub Free Zone in late May to early June.
3. Fungus Control: Fungus loves heat and humidity. So remember not to water in the evening plus use preventative fungicides to protect your lawn. Preventative applications of fungicides are more effective than trying to cure a lawn with fungus. Stone Creek Nursery recommends ferti-lome F-Stop.
4. Fertilizer: Do not fertilize heavily in the summer but keep your lawn green and healthy with slow release fertilizer containing sulfur and iron.
5. Weed Control: Mid to late May is the time to apply ferti-lome Weed-Out weed and feed. During the heat of summer we recommend a liquid weed killer like ferti-lome Weed Free Zone..