Caring for Poinsettias and Fresh Christmas Trees
Care of Poinsettias
- Place in indirect sunlight
- 6 hours of light daily is ideal
- Keep plant from touching cold window panes
- Keep away from warm or cold drafts and open doors or windows
- Ideal daytime temps should be between 60-70 degrees and nighttime temps between 55-60.
- Keep soil moist but not wet. Water with lukewarm water until water runs through to drainage saucer then discard water in saucer. Poinsettias do not like "wet feet"
- Do not fertilize poinsettias in bloom.
Care of Fresh Christmas Trees
- After bringing fresh tree home, cut 1 in off bottom of trunk and immediately place in water to facilitate water uptake
- Place tree in stand that can hold at least one gallon of water
- Check frequently and continue to add water until water uptake stops
- Always keep base of tree in water to prevent tree resin from sealing off base of tree preventing water uptake
- Many fresh cut trees if properly cared for should last at least five weeks